One Health | News & Events
Please continue to check the University of Guelph's COVID-19 website for regular campus-wide updates.
*NEW* Wondering what's up on campus this summer? So were we!
Check out the new Upcoming Events page on our website for a listing of webinars, conferences and symposia of special interest to our U of G community.
Have something to add?
INTRODUCING... The One Health Coffee House (BYOC)
The One Health Coffee House is a Summer 2020 student-led one health-focused discussion series, sponsored by the One Health Institute and the One Health Student Committee, with frequent contributions from the Guelph International Development Students Association (GIDSA).
This weekly, 30-minute online forum for student discussion starts on June 12th and runs through August. Presentations are 12:30-1:00 PM, FREE and open to all (registration required). REGISTER HERE for the series, attend as many talks as you like.
Dr. Jane Parmley will kick off our inaugural session on June 12th! The list of subsequent topics and student presenters can be found HERE.
Unite For Sight's Global Health Idea Lab continues next week with two outstanding live sessions!
A Conversation about Global Health Innovation with Agnes Binagwaho
Monday, June 1 | 9-10AM Eastern Time
- Agnes Binagwaho, Pediatrician, Vice Chancellor, and Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Global Health Equity; Former Minister of Health, Rwanda
- In conversation with Rebecca Hardin, Associate Professor, School for Environment and Sustainability, University of Michigan
Register at idealab.uniteforsight.org/
Vision and Mission: Purpose-Driven Innovation
Thursday, June 4 | 11AM-12PM Eastern Time
- Ned Breslin, President and CEO, Tennyson Center for Children
- Eliza Squibb, Co-Founder and Art Director, ZTwist Design LLC; Instructor, Rhode Island School of Design; Instructor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Robin Allinson Smalley, Co-Founder & Chief Connector, mothers2mothers
- Laura Stachel, Executive Director and Co-Founder, We Care Solar
- Sam Daley-Harris, Founder, RESULTS; Co-Founder, Microcredit Summit Campaign; Founder, Civic Courage
- Moderated by Julie Mountcastle, Head of School, Slate School
Register at idealab.uniteforsight.org/
ZOHU Calls are 1-hour monthly webinars that provide timely education on zoonotic and infectious diseases, One Health, antimicrobial resistance, food safety, vector-borne diseases, recent outbreaks, and related health threats at the animal-human-environment interface.
Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2020
Time: 2:00-3:00 pm (Eastern Time)
- Overview of the Meat and Poultry Processing Interim Guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Assessing the Risks of Reverse Zoonotic Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from Humans to North American Wildlife
- Development of Rabies Post-Exposure Prophylaxis Quality Improvement Program at a Multi-Hospital Health System
Join the live webinar
The Arrell Food Institute, Food From Thought and the One Health Institute have partnered to bring you a series of webinars featuring University of Guelph agri-food experts answering questions from the public about food and agriculture during the COVID-19 pandemic: sites.uoguelph.ca/onehealth/events/
Watch the video HERE.
This webinar is moderated by Professor Philip Loring, Arrell Chair in Food, Policy, Society and Associate Professor of Geography at the Department of Geography and Arrell Food Institute, University of Guelph.
- Jacqui Empson Laporte, OMAFRA environmental specialist and volunteer with Victim Services Huron County
- Abdul-Rahim Abdulai, Arrell Scholar and PhD Candidate in the Department of Geography, U of G
- Ryan Gibson, Associate Professor (Libro Professor in Regional Economic Development) in the School of Environmental Design and Rural Development
- Helen Hambly Odama, Associate Professor in the School of Environmental Design and Rural Development
*NEW* U of G Funding Opportunity. More information HERE.
CARE-AI and the One Health Institute have launched a seed fund to support interdisciplinary collaborations that use responsible Artificial Intelligence in the context of optimal health for people, animals, plants and our environment.
Trees and People: Resilience in a Changing Climate – John G. Bene Fellowship 2020
This call is open to Canadians and permanent residents of Canada pursuing master’s or doctoral studies at a Canadian university. The award under this call will cover costs of field research conducted for a master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation in one or more countries of the Global South.
Deadline: July 15, 2020 by 16:00 (EDT)
In the News...
Can antibody tests tell us who is immune to COVID-19? U of G faculty Shayan Sharif, Professor of Immunology and Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies, and Byram W. Bridle, Associate professor, Department of Pathobiology, address this question in a recent article for The Conversation.
*One Health WEBSITE
*Follow us on Twitter: @OneHealthUofG
*Check out the One Health Student Committee's Instagram: OneHealthUofG
Do you have news you would like to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.