In This April 2020 Newsletter:
GIER's Launch • Small Grants Program Awardees 2020 • Earth Day and Launch of GIER's Website • FAQ - GIER's Governance • Perspectives on Interdisciplinarity • Arts+Environmental Science • Become an Affiliate Member • Grant-Writing Help
Launch in the Science Complex Atrium. Photo credit: Karen Whylie.
GIER's launch was held on October 22, 2019. Over 100 environmental researchers from all seven colleges were in attendance as well as several distinguished external guests including the Mayor of Guelph, MPP Mike Schreiner, and Councillor Cathie Jamieson from the MCFN. The event was covered by local and national media including Guelph Today and Academica group’s “Today’s Top Ten.”
“We have to feel comfortable stepping out of our departments, our colleges, and our existing networks and structures. And in that process, all the outstanding environmental research occurring at Guelph will have an even greater impact.”
Dr. Madhur Anand, inaugural Director of GIER. Photo credit: Karen Whylie.
Small Grants Program Awardees 2020
GIER launched its first Small Grants Program competition! The response was overwhelmingly positive, with applications from all colleges and several interdisciplinary cross-college collaborations. Congratulations to all the 2020 Small Grants Program awardees!
- Amanda Boetzkes will investigate cultural responses to climate change watch video
- Michael Denk will develop a green approach to remediate soil and water watch video
- Stefan Kremer and Genevieve Ali will use machine learning to predict the flows and floods of the Grand River watch video
- Philip Loring, Nicolas Brunet, and Hannah Harrison will be working with the Shawanaga First Nation to explore the impacts of fish hatchery methods watch video
- Tad McIlwraith and team will establish a Northern research hub at the UoG watch video
- Claudia Wagner-Riddle and team will create awareness on the importance of interdisciplinary research on soil health watch video
- Craig Johnson and Kirby Calvert will study the ecological footprint of rapidly-expanding renewable energies watch video
- Catherine Bush will explore the role of imagination in the way we view and respond to the climate crisis watch video
Happy Earth Day and Launch of GIER's Website!
International Mother Earth Day was established by the the United Nations's General Assembly. Celebrated every April 22, Earth Day recognizes that the Earth and all its ecosystems are our home.
To celebrate Earth Day, GIER is happy to announce the launch of its website! Join us to learn more about our projects, affiliate members, and global efforts in interdisciplinary environmental research.
Please visit us at: gier.uoguelph.ca/